Welcome to Round 42 of Travel Photo Roulette.
Travel Photo Roulette started in November 2010 as a way for travel bloggers to showcase their best photography. For each round a new theme is chosen, and independent travel bloggers are asked to submit their photos. Then a winner is chosen to host (and judge!) the following round.
Round 41 was hosted by Adventure Crow with ‘Spirit of the Country’ as the theme. After seeing some of the great entries (check them all out here), we were excited to see that our photo had been selected as the winner!
This round’s theme: Evening
One of our favourite times of day to wander an area is the early evening as the day ends and the night begins. There is a definite change in the mood, the atmosphere lightens as people finish work to head home or go out for the evening, restaurants and bars start opening, there is activity everywhere and the city takes on a whole new shape. We also love being by the water to watch the sky go from day to night. Hence, the theme we have chosen this week is ‘Evening’.
So whether it be a place, a landscape, people or a mood we are looking forward to seeing everyone’s interpretation of this week’s theme.
The contest rotates through travel and/or photography blogs as such, the winner of the previous round of Travel Photo Roulette hosts the subsequent round on their own blog. The new host then chooses the next theme, a generic keyword or phrase and players submit their interpretations of the theme over course of the week of the contest. At the end of the week, the hosting blogger chooses their favorite photo from the submissions and displays it as the week’s winning entry. They then include direction to the new host for the next round. Readers can attempt to lobby the author toward a certain photo via comments – the author can accept or ignore any lobby as they see fit. The game is repeated with the winner hosting the following week’s game and choosing a phrase for new photo submissions.
- One submission per Blog (so sites that have 2+ authors only get one entry).
- Post processing is permitted, but photo altering (ie. photoshopping) is not.
- Abstract submissions welcomed as long as it fits within the interpretation of the chosen phrase. Remember, the hosting blogger chooses the winner, so if they cannot understand the submission, you might not win!
- Please try and keep your images medium-sized and web-optimized (around 600px).
- If you win, keep these in mind when choosing a new theme:
- * Keep phrases general so that all bloggers can participate. Specific items like “Eiffel Tower” should be avoided but rather made open-ended like “monuments.” For variety, it is okay to say focused things such as “monuments at night” which most of us have pictures of. Phrases can be generic ‘signs’, or abstract ‘religion’.
* Abstract thoughts are appreciated, but keep it within the realm that all readers will understand. No “Kafka-esque”, or “Overlooking Creation”. Use something that is able to be interpreted by all.
- After 1 year, phrases can be reused, however new photos must be submitted.
- No obscene pictures or phrases allowed. Suggestive phrases and photography can be accepted, but please keep it within reason.
- Keep the ideas and photos fresh!
- Pictures from your entire portfolio are fair to submit. You do not have to take the photo within the week of the contest period to submit it.
- Most importantly, ALL PHOTOS MUST BE YOUR OWN.
- One last rule, since this is a competition for bloggers, we need you to be a blogger to be declared a winner. Sorry!
How to submit your entries
To enter in the Photo Roulette competition simply leave a comment below with a link to the image (whether Flickr, Picasa or your own site) and I will upload it to this post. Don’t forget to provide a brief description or caption for the photo so the viewers can get a little background as to what’s happening. Check back here throughout the week to see all the entries as they come in and feel free to comment on them. The contest runs for 7 days from today, with the submission date being May 7th, 2012 – May 14th, 2012 11.59pm GMT (Monday to Monday). The winner will be announced in the days after the deadline, and they will host round 43.
**Note** Please enter medium-size web-friendly photos (around 600px). Large pictures slow down servers and increase page load times for everybody.
Past Photo Roulette Winners and Hosts
The following is a list of the previously played rounds of the game and the hosting blogger for each. This list also doubles as a winner’s table as each topic host won the preceding round! Click the host’s link to go directly to that entry to see some stunning photographs from the chosen term/phrase!
1. Nov 4–10, 2010 – Living the Dream – “Animals”
2. Nov 17–24, 2010 – Skinny Backpacker - “Road Signs”
3. Nov 29–Dec 6, 2010 – Dream a Little Dream - “Street Art”
4. Dec 8–15, 2010 – Flashpacker HQ – “Festival”
5. Dec 17–24, 2010 – Over Yonderlust – “Landmarks”
6. Dec 26–Jan 2, 2011 – Don’t Ever Look Back – “Beaches”
7. Jan 5–12, 2011 – ThePlanetD – “Portraits”
8. Jan 15–22, 2011 – Travel with a Mate – “Motion”
9. Jan 26–Feb 3, 2011 – Johnny Vagabond – “Water”
10. Feb 8–15, 2011 – Ken Kaminesky – “Urban”
11. Feb 21–27, 2011 – Travels of Adam - “Friday Night”
12. Mar 7–13, 2011 – Itchy Feet Chronicles – “The Journey”
13. Mar 19– 25, 2011 – Brendan’s Adventures – “Changing Seasons”
14. Apr 4–10, 2011 - Shutterfeet – “Storytelling”
15. Apr 13–21, 2011 - 10 Times One - “Piousness”
16. Apr 26–May 4, 2011 – Beached Eskimo – “Learning”
17. May 21–27, 2011 – Travel Junkies – “Architecture”
18. Jun 1–7, 2011 – Destination World – “Transportation”
19. Jun 8–15, 2011 – Living the Dream – “Paradise”
20. Jun 21-28, 2011 - Vagabond Quest - “Clothes”
21. Jul 4-11, 2011 – The Unframed World – “Symmetry”
22. Jul 16-25, 2011 – Beached Eskimo – “Home”
23. Jul 31 – Aug 7, 2011 – BackPackerBanter – “Inspiration”
24. Aug 14 – 21, 2011 – WanderingTrader - “Darkness”
25. Aug 28 – Sep 4, 2011 – Finding the Universe – “Tranquillity”
26. Sep 12 – 19, 2011 – Fearful Adventurer – “Food”
27. Sep 23 – 30, 2011 – Adventures of a GoodMan – “City”
28. Oct 06 – 13, 2011 – Globe-Trekking.com - “Reflections”
29. Oct 17 – 24, 2011 – Scene With A Hart - ”Framing”
30. Nov 9 – 16, 2011 – Vagabond Quest - “Silhouettes”
31. Nov 26 – Dec 3, 2011 – Hecktic Travels – “Music”
32. Dec 11 – Dec 18, 2011 – Globetrotter Girls – “Love”
33. Dec 25 – Jan 1st, 2012– Man on the lam – “Humor”
34. January 8 – Jan 15 – My Walkabout – “Winter”
35. Jan 15 – Jan 22 – The Art of Slow Travel – “Blue”
36. Feb 6 – Feb 13 – Ten Times One – “Depth of Field”
37. Feb 22 – Feb 29 – Runaway Juno – “My Glorious Digital Nomad Moment”
38. March 7 – March 14 – Nomadbiba – “Sunshine”
39. March 24 – 31 – Travel With Kat – “Local Character”
40. April 10th – 16th - The Travel Bunny – “Street Scene”
41. April 23rd – April 30th – Adventure Crow – “Spirit of the Country”
Stunning first entry by Dustin @ Skinny Backpacker: “Just as the sun sets, these dancers light up the streets of San Telmo, Buenos Aires with Tango.”
The second entry comes from Natasha @ World Wandering Kiwi: “Walking back to the Old Light in the evening on Lundy Island under a huge sky – fulfilling a dream of staying in a lighthouse!”
Tash @ Jouljet Gallery: “The camels walking along Cable Beach, Broome, WA, as the sun is sinking into the ocean.”
Adam @ Travels of Adam : ”A shot from dinnertime in Vientiane, Laos.”
From Daniël @ Globe Trekking: “As the evening begins, the city of Minneapolis comes alive.”
From the Gypsy Nesters: “The evenings are magic in Venice. Lights play off the waters of the canals while the gondoliers search for romantic sunset passengers.”
Jeremy @ Living the Dream RTW: “What do you do in an evening in Las Vegas? The same thing you do in the morning, afternoon, and middle of the night. Drink! The best place in Vegas to drink? Well, that one is debatable, but the now defunct Rumjungle at Mandalay Bay was one of the best.”
From Matt Gibson: “A local family strolls home at sunset on Malapascua Island, Philippines.”
Nat @ A Cook Not Mad: “From the Rialto Bridge as evening sets in, the colours come to life.”
From @ 2away: “Sunset at one of the ger camps in the middle of the Gobi desert in Mongolia.”
Shawna @ Full Course Travel: “A cold bucket of beers + a beautiful KeyWest Sunset = Perfect Evening!”
Marta @ Across the South: “Jungle morning” This photo was taken in the late evening in the Cuyabeno Reserve in Ecuador, while coming back to our lodge. I call it morning, because evenning is the time of the day when everything comes to life in the jungle.
Kathryn @ Travel With Kat: “My favourite from a series taken at different times of the day outside my hotel in Algajola, Corsica.”
Madhu @ The Urge to Wonder: ”Ship in sunset.”
Rebecca @ Travels at 88MPH: “Can you believe that I got to see this view every single night from my studio apartment in Auckland, New Zealand?”
Suzanne @ The Travel Bunny: “The sun reflecting on the rocks as it goes down near Sossusvlei, Namibia.”
Alexandra @ Fluent in Frolicking: “Drinking On Top Of The World” - My photo was taken at a rooftop bar in Istanbul. I love playing with reflections and the colors from this bar overlooking the city skyline were just too fun!
@ Nomad Biba: “I took this one in Campo de’ Fiori in Rome, I love how the moon is already high in the sky but the sun is still shinning its last rays for the day.”
Heather @ Travellers Playground: “My image was taken in Perugia, Italy; just before dinner as the sun was slowly setting.”
From Lucy @ On the Luce: “Sunset from a boat travelling between the Gili Islands in Indonesia.”
Bob @ Piran Cafe: “This is a night snap of the Hotel Ukraina in Moscow where I stayed for about a week. Really nice old hotel.”